Friday, October 22, 2010

SLINGIN' SHIT: With Councilman Paul Sturtz

News that venture capital firm Blackstone Group invested in a Columbia cement plant this month prompted this eye-opening exchange with First Ward Columbia City Councilman Paul Sturtz.   Admitting that he voted for the IBM tax incentives -- which he found questionable -- because he would have been "run out of town" otherwise, Sturtz took umbrage when this writer questioned his voting record. 
 
 
----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Sturtz" <paul@truefalse.org>
To: "Mike Martin" <mjmartin@weeklyscientist.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2010 9:51 AM
Subject: Blackstone Group


Paul
 
 
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Martin" <mjmartin@weeklyscientist.com>
To: "Paul Sturtz" <paul@truefalse.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2010 4:16 PM
Subject: Re: Blackstone Group
 
Thanks.  But the more interesting story (to me) is why you send me things like this, and then vote for or support moves that point in the opposite philosophical direction.  The examples are numerous, but the one that has left so many people scratching their heads is your vote for -- followed by outspoken opposition to -- IBM.    You even sent me links to several IBM-horror stories, ala Blackstone.

First Ward Councilman Paul Sturtz, who joined fellow council members last night to unanimously approve the $500,000 appropriation and to enter a lease agreement with IBM, said the lack of transparency during the process was "disquieting."
http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2010/may/25/secrecy-of-ibm-deal-stirs-criticism

"IBM, I think, has a history of manipulating cities into rushing through the process," Sturtz said in an e-mail. "This kind of rushing around to get employees into new buildings is all a big farce when you look at how East Lansing and Dubuque are understaffed."
http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2010/06/29/explanation-ibm-sub-contractors

Sturtz also pointed out that IBM has been cutting jobs in the United States and shifting them to other countries.  "It doesn't seem to me like job creation," he said. "It seems like job shifting."
http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2010/may/24/council-oks-ibm-lease-agreement

First Ward Councilman Paul Sturtz also questioned the secrecy surrounding IBM's entrance into the community.  "It seems like there's a culture of nondisclosure, of confidentiality," Sturtz said.
http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2010/05/24/council-votes-approve-ibm-deal
 
 
----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Sturtz" <
paul@truefalse.org>
To: "Mike Martin" <
mjmartin@weeklyscientist.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2010 4:25 PM
Subject: Re: Blackstone Group


Mike,

Watch the video of the IBM hearing. You will see I had some very real questions and concerns that I voiced that night. I ended up voting for it because I would have been run out of town to not vote for something that had the potential to bring in 800 jobs, even if I thought the eco-devo claims were overrated.

If "so many" people have been scratching their heads over my supposed contradictions, I haven't heard from them.  I'm not sure what this has to do with me sending you and article about Blackstone, but I won't send you stuff from now on.   Paul
 
 
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Martin" <mjmartin@weeklyscientist.com>
To: "Paul Sturtz" <paul@truefalse.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2010 4:58 PM
Subject: Re: Blackstone Group

That's fine.  You don't want to hear it, and so you don't.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Sturtz" <paul@truefalse.org>
To: "Mike Martin" <mjmartin@weeklyscientist.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2010 5:07 PM
Subject: Re: Blackstone Group

Mike,

I welcome any real and direct discussion of my voting record, but not vague notions that people are "scratching their heads" about me.  Regarding the one non-abstract issue you raise, the IBM vote, I again encourage you to watch the City's video from the May 24, 2010 meeting. 
 
I spent a tremendous amount of time researching and discussing this issue, raising consciousness about IBM's recent history, and I resent that you are taking me to task for having any kind of multi-dimensional take on the vote.
 
It's a lot easier to just sling shit when you're a blogger and not responsible to anyone but yourself.

With my best,

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment