Thursday, February 5, 2009

TO ARCHITECT BRIAN PAPE: Get Well Soon!

From the Mule Barn -- arguably Columbia's largest single preservation project in terms of square footage and difficulty -- to the new Ragtag Cinema to his founding member status as president and decade-long chairman of the Historic Preservation Commission, and all of his related efforts over the years, especially when preserving history wasn't hip, architect Brian Pape is arguably the Father of Historic Preservation in Columbia.

Brian's been a little under the weather recently. Well, maybe more than a little. But we'll let him tell you, as he told folks gathered at Tuesday night's notable historic property reception at the Tiger Hotel, in a letter to his many Columbia friends.

"Besides periodic visits to Columbia, I’ve been living with my wife Joy in New York City. I am in excellent health, except for one little thing: we found something in my head that shouldn’t be there, and I’m not talking about visions of fame and fortune.

"On Dec. 12, 2008, I woke up from a good night’s sleep, but something was different. Suddenly, I had a “Teenage Left Leg and Foot”--- they got lazy and wouldn’t do what I asked them to do! I went to see my good Doctor. The next step was a battery of tests. In the interim, Joy and I enjoyed a magical vacation in sunny Florida. Although my limp was getting a little worse, I found running on the sandy beaches to be fun and not a problem.

"On Friday morning, January 9, I had an MRI done at Boone Hospital. The bad news was that they found a tumor; the good news was that it is benign and fairly common, easily operated on, and with excellent prognosis for complete recovery.

"We decided to have the operation done in NYC and I made it through the traumatic ordeal of surgery on Wednesday, 1/28/09 at the Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital Neurosurgery Center. Since last Saturday, I’ve been home at our NYC apartment with Joy nursing me back to full health.

"It’s been an interesting journey. I now think of the tumor as a pearl of great price. I believe I have learned lessons about the delicacy of life, appreciation of the intricate workings of the brain and muscles, and appreciation of medical advances and skills.

"Even in the most painful hours immediately following the surgery, I could only thank God for being alive and on to the next step of recovery. It took the doctors a few hours in the ICU on Wednesday to adjust the painkillers so I could rest; it was intense! Now, three days later, I am off all painkillers; pretty amazing when I look at the scar from ear to ear and feel the soft spot on my skull. My left leg and foot started functioning immediately after surgery.

"I am enjoying restful days, walking regularly, even visiting friends and family, and going out to eat and shop. They say my recovery is going very well.

"Thanks always for your thoughts and prayers; I believe in the power of prayer, first because I believe in GOD, and second, I have seen for myself results that can't be attributed to any other source. I trust my doctors and care professionals, but my real trust is in God to take care of me as God always has."

Brian
brianpape at mac.com

No comments:

Post a Comment